To members of Phi Upsilon Omicron, the trust is given to keep undimmed within our lives, the circle’s light. It is our privilege to carry forth this light of friendship and service to shine in countless human lives the world around.
In so doing we shall find each member made stronger, the meaning of our honor society deepened, and in our chapter, a warmth which comforts, strengthens, and inspires us all.
The honor society name, Phi Upsilon Omicron, originated from the initial letters of the first, second, and last words of the Greek phrase which means “The Light of the Home (House).”
The official publication of our honor society is The Candle, published semi-annually in the spring and fall. It is a tangible tie that binds all chapters together, and all chapters are expected to cooperate with the Editor by supplying copy as requested. For those interested in writing, there is an award for excellence in writing. As part of your initiation fee, you will receive a subscription to The Candle. It is your responsibility to submit any change of address or name to the Executive Director.
The Phi U bookmark is violet, gold, and cream, representing the Phi U colors. The gold is a form of yellow symbolizing light, the cream for the white of honor and integrity, and the violet for our flower, the violet. The candles at the top and bottom also symbolize light, as does the candle on our pin. The miniature house suggests the home and the conventionalized flower, the violet.
The crest consists of a shield. In the chief are two charges, one of which is a castle, indicative of the home; the other is a pelican with its young, symbolic of the family. In the base is the horn of plenty, representing the nutrition of home, community, and world. On the scroll above the coat-of-arms is the name of the honor society, Phi Upsilon Omicron, in Greek letters.
(Tune: “Amazing Grace”)
- We bid you welcome to Phi U,
- The bonds we form are true,
- In friendship, love, and loyalty,
- Phi Upsilon Omicron.
“Phi U Forever”
- Phi Upsilon Omicron,
- Your light shines brightly before us.
- Guides our way, through the day,
- Inspiration and pleasure.
- Scholarship, leadership, service, too,
- Are our goals together.
- Phi Upsilon Omicron,
- Lives in our hearts forever.
- Thy candle light, Phi Upsilon, Doth softly, softly shine,
- Within our circle love is reigning, Phi Upsilon Omicron.
- Music soft and sweet and low, Our praises now we bring to thee.
- Reverently our lives we pledge, Our hearts we yield to thee.
- So pure and warm, thy light shall shine, Its peace and guidance bring,
- Its flame of gold a beacon true, Shall all our thoughts inspire.
- True to thee we’ll ever be, in service gladly striving,
- Thy light Phi Upsilon Omicron, Make pure our heart’s desire.
“Phi U Song”
(Tune: “Believe Me If All those Endearing Young Charms”)
- Phi Upsilon Omicron, our hearts are thine,
- Thy honor and name we adore;
- We will love thee and cherish thee forever more,
- And our hopes will around thee entwine.
- Thou wouldst still be adored;
- Were we all far away,
- And no longer were here with thine own.
- Phi Upsilon Omicron, teach us we pray,
- To revere and to love thee always.