Steps to Follow in Establishing a Named Fellowship/Scholarship/Award
Outstanding Phi Upsilon Omicron members have an ongoing need for more financial aid to pursue undergraduate or graduate studies.
The Phi Upsilon Omicron Educational Foundation invites you to assist these members by establishing a Fellowship, Scholarship, or Award in your own name or in honor of someone. Any individual, group, or chapter may start a new fund to honor someone such as an outstanding member, faculty person, or alumni. The following contributions are required to start a new fund: (*See footnote 1)
These amounts supply a minimal scholarship/fellowship/award which can be increased through additional gifts. All contributions are tax deductible.
Now that you have the general idea, here are some steps to follow:
- After deciding on the person(s) to be honored, determine the focus of your fund — scholarship, fellowship, or award. Perhaps your honoree has special interests in graduate education or research. Perhaps he or she has a keen concern for undergraduate students. A special interest of talent may be a consideration.
- Of course, funds available for the minimum investment may determine the type of award you establish. Remember, additional contributions can be made later by you and others.
- Next, contact the Chair of the Phi U Educational Foundation, or the Executive Director of the Phi Upsilon Omicron Executive Director (address below), and convey your desire to start a new fund.
- Complete a donor’s agreement form,which will be signed by you (the donor) and the Foundation Chairperson.
- In this agreement, the donor and the Foundation mutually agree on the following:
- the name and type of scholarship, fellowship, or award,
- that the procedure for selecting recipients will be by a national committee,
- the special criteria for this scholarship, fellowship, or award,
- that the authority for administering the fund lies with the Educational Foundation of Phi Upsilon Omicron,
- that these agreements are not in conflict with general policies of the Foundation.
Phi Upsilon Omicron Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the establishment of the Candle Society for such gifts. Members who choose to remember Phi U in their will, or other planned gift, will become members of this Society and leave a true legacy of their Phi U experience.
Please take a moment to review the Phi Upsilon Omicron Educational Foundation Candle Society Brochure, and Candle Society article for additional information.
Melissa Martin, Executive Director
Phi Upsilon Omicron Educational Foundation, Inc.
c/o Executive Director, Phi Upsilon Omicron
P.O. Box 50970,
Bowling Green, KY 42102-4270